Friday, February 4, 2011

Two days in to the Year of the Rabbit

I'm home coughing, writing a 1500 word travel article, and half-watching Say Yes to the Dress on TLC. And may I just say to all future brides out there, please, Please, don't start screaming like you just won Publishers Clearing House Sweepstakes when the ceremony ends. Additionally, don't enter your reception as if you are the star quarterback running out onto the field through the air-puffed tunnel on game day. Both behaviors are unseemly and they piss. me. off.

I'm easily pissed off this week. I've been working 10 hour days on my "part-time" job with event planning, weathering storms, putting out metaphorical fires, and getting drenched and burned alternately. But, I don't want to talk about that. I'm just trying to keep the strain from making me ill-tempered because my dear boyfriend has been kindly putting up with a mad-woman. We've already done that, I don't want to do that to him or myself again. Even though this is different - my boss is a lovely person whom I admire, respect, and look forward to interacting with. I know - lucky, right? Doing a cool job under a boss who is really nice. If that were the whole story I'd be ... well, I wouldn't be coughing my head off trying to finish up a 1500 word article at 11pm at night on a Friday.

But I don't want to talk about that. I'm cranky, and I'd be whining if I hadn't lost my voice on Wednesday so I'm making up for it virtually. Unfortunately, this past week appears to be par for the course for the Year of the crummy grass-eating Rabbit. It doesn't look good for me people. The Chinese have it in for me this year. And you know how I believe in this stuff.

"This is a Metal year, and that's your most favorable element. So even though this year is less than 50 percent favorable overall for you, you still end up with half of it going your way. And there's more. Yours is not the first sign for nothing. You're probably quicker, shrewder and more charming than the Rabbit. Remember the story about the wolf in goat's clothing? Well if you dress up in Rabbit's clothing, you can increase your chance of success. When someone rubs you the wrong way, put on your sweetest bunny smile, bite your tongue and enjoy the taste of blood as you fight the urge to give that idiot a tongue lashing. Avoid confrontation, but do pick your spots. There will be plenty of opportunities. Bunny style may not appeal to you, but if it gets you what you want, and it will, why not do a makeover? Next year you can revert to your old self as you soar with the Dragon.


Rat Rating

46% (6 favorable and 6 unfavorable months)

Rat Career

If working with people is a big part of your job, you might find it difficult to make a lot of progress this year. The Rabbit could bring out the worst in you, as it encourages yielding to emotions. You, on the other hand, probably do best when you use logic. This is a time for diplomacy, for presenting a soft face to the people you work with. The more Rabbit-like you can make yourself, the better will be your chances of success. It's not the best time for a career move. If that's what you've been thinking about, you might want to wait until next year, which should be a very favorable time for you. For now, stay the course. Don't make waves. And just be a good member of the team."
Laugh at me if you must, but I've already seen some of those predictions start to unfold. I've been doing more than my fair share of Rabbit-reactions this week, which is not good. See, I've figured myself out, and I know that I am literally Nice To A Fault. I don't stand up for myself, my first reaction to receiving anger or rebuke is stunned and confused apology. I am horribly polite, and like some particularly loyal animal breeds, I'll work until my heart quits to please. I'm trying to work on this. To my credit, I have sent some very direct - though polite - emails this week. The level of illness and exhaustion I had to reach in order to summon the bravery to send those emails is embarrassing, but still, it's progress.
So while the Chinese are telling this Rat to be a sweet bunny, I think it's part of my personal growth this year to learn how to stick up for myself professionally (my boyfriend will tell you that I stick up for myself with nooo problem at home). With that in mind, I am thankful that I'll at least have 6 "good" months, because that's more than I'd hope for with a tough personal mission like this. 
Now, back to writing about "Me Time" in tropical paradises... 

No comments:

Post a Comment