Thursday, December 23, 2010

While we make other plans...

December 24th Horoscope:

"There's so much happening right now that rather than feeling a part of all the hustle and bustle, you may be tempted to just keep your head down and stick to your projects and plans. The thing is, if you can grab onto some of the energy around you, you'll see entirely new ways of handling it all -- ways that are not only more productive, but way more fun. Similarly, tonight your instinct may be to hole up with a cozy blanket, but if you get out in the world, you'll find it beautiful and bright."


My horoscopes have been eerily accurate lately. The past week has been entirely about manic organization because I just started a new gig: Event planning for Habitat for Humanity.


No, there is no Event Planning anywhere on my resume. Nada. Nuttin'. 


So how did this happen? There's this guy, we'll call him Robert. Robert was a manager of sorts for two of the websites for which I was writing, and we got along really well. To me, it seems like Robert operates almost entirely on borderline psychic intuition about people - and judging from his success rate, he's right a lot more often than not. He knew he wanted to work with me, and I knew I liked working with him. So when he decided to take on planning events for Habitat for Humanity again this year (he has quite a lot of experience with them), he brought me on to assist. From a brief meeting months ago and many phone and Skype conversations, he got the feeling that I'd be great for the job.


I've been having heart-attacks daily ever since. Seriously, event planning is a non-stop adrenaline rush and I am constantly panicked that I will forget one of the myriad details on which success hinges. But, this is only the end of the first week. 


It has to get easier. 


My point is, however, that this is weird Kismet / Karma / Serendipity / Fate kind of stuff. There's no other explanation for how I've found myself here. One thing I haven't even told Robert is that my Great, Great Uncle is Paul Harris - Founder of the Rotary Club. The parallels between me and Paul are starting to creep me out: He was a wandering journalist / Jack of all trades in his youth, loved to travel, and then found himself creating one of the first grand-scale non-profits in history. If there is conscious life after death, then Paul Harris is getting a kick out of this. I'm praying that he'll pull a few heavenly strings and help me out. 


And hey - remember my wish for the new year? Making more money. Am I? You betcha. Just not quite the way I anticipated.

No comments:

Post a Comment