Wednesday, June 15, 2011

On my Little Sister's Graduation from Middle School

My oldest little sister graduates Middle School today, entering the hallowed halls of high school in just a few weeks. Although we are very different people, I created a list of things I wish I had known going in. Hopefully these words of wisdom will help her out.

For her parents' sake, I did not include "My only regret from high school is not leaving it faster." Although that is precisely what I'll tell my own kids someday, along with a few disparaging remarks on honors programs, AP programs, and extra-curricular terrorism. Here's what I did say:


Dear Tori,
Congratulations on making it through Middle School! Believe it or not, but you’ve just graduated from some of the toughest years life can throw at you. High School is better. Here are a few things I wish someone had told me when I entered high school. It’s kind of a cheat-sheet to get you through the next four years.
  • 1.     Now is the perfect time to change your name. Sick of “Tori”? Introduce yourself as Victoria on day one, and that’s your name for the next four years.
  • 2.    This is your first lesson in high school math: your gpa drops dramatically if you miss assignments, or hand them in late, so it’s better to hand in anything on time.
  • 3.    If you get along with everyone and the teachers and administrators like you, you can get away with a helluva lot more.
  • 4.    Be kind to everyone. High school is a nicer place than middle school, but there are still kids who have a rough time. Make their lives a little easier through being kind and helpful. In the end, this is what makes you popular.
  • 5.    Don’t believe anything you read in teen magazines about boys and how to attract them, or how to tell if they like you. It’s all lies. Few boys are interested in dating girls in high school – they just aren’t there yet. The ones who are dating every girl in school are skanks. Also, Juniors and Seniors who date freshmen are skanks, even if they are hot.
  • 6.    Don’t drive yourself crazy with extra-curricular activities. Take time to do things that are just for you. Explore and pursue your own interests that may or may not have anything to do with school, and develop your talents no matter whether they’ll look good on college applications. This is the stuff that makes you an interesting person.
  • 7.    If you have a dream, pursue it with all the energy and passion you have. People will tell you that what you want to do is hard, or impossible, or any number of other reasons to discourage you. The secret is: everything is hard. Nothing is easy. But doing what you love is worth it.

Also, if you choose to wear a thong, don’t let it show above your jeans. I still remember the girl who sat in front of me in English class with the hot pink thong. Don’t be that girl.

Best of luck on this new adventure. You will be brilliant!

Much Love,
Lauren (Who went by “Queen Elizabeth I” in high school – how’s that for a nickname?)

No comments:

Post a Comment