Sunday, December 21, 2014

A Word on Weddiquette

I'd thought of everything. The hat I would wear - the lime green one with the drooping feathers and fashionable folds. The soft knee-length green dress that goes with the hat. The ivory gloves that go with the dress. The smooth green leather shoes that I'd probably have to change if there was much dancing to be done.

I had the itinerary planned for the entire trip, barring the handful of hours we would be celebrating the nuptials of our friends. We would walk along the storied river for a week, traveling by foot from idyllic village to cozy bed-and-breakfast, winding our way with the water through green hills. Rain or shine, makes no difference, because the rain is wet, and green, and fresh. Chill would be chased away by a pastry, and heat would be easily quelled by a cool, not cold, brown ale. Then we would drive North to see what there is to see and smell the heather blooming in early summer, and marvel at the clothes hanging out to dry in every cottage yard despite the intermittent rain. An homage to true optimism waving with every damp sheet.

I don't believe the invitation is coming. Our invitation arrived there two years ago, safe and sound, and was responded to within the allotted time with a positive "Yes!" They sat, they danced, they ate our cake, and we were deeply glad they had flown the distance. We looked forward to returning the favor. Expected to. Even though expectations of such things are a tad self-serving.

I suppose, really, that I should be happy for their long-awaited union. But when I see my feathered hat, so perfect for that sort of wedding, I kind of wish that the venue buries them in a heap of ancient sandy-colored stones, and that their last words are "Our one regret is not inviting Lauren and Charles!." It's petty. I admit it.

We would have given a nice gift. A very nice gift. We're not cheap. That should count for something, even if it is also a shallow, petty consideration. But aren't most considerations shallow and petty where weddings are concerned? I realize not everyone can be invited to a wedding. But I thought we had something. I thought our good times, good drinks, good food, good company, good thank-you gifts, good manners, and goodness in general meant something. Apparently, not quite the price of a plate or the space of a seat.


No comments:

Post a Comment